Gas EmergenciesIf you can smell gas and believe there is a gas leak follow these important steps:
- Open doors and windows for ventilation
- Do not turn any electrical switches on or off
- Extinguish all naked flames
- Turn the gas off at the meter/emergency control and leave it off until the escape has been repaired
- Report the gas escape on 0800 111 999
- If an electrical security entry lock/phone is fitted, then this must not be operated. The door must be opened manually when the National Grid engineer arrives
This national emergency number is free of charge and will put you through to your local electricity network operator who can give you help and advice.